# Trust the Cleaner Market The clearest lesson for me today is that the cash index does not always tell the whole story. When SPY and the futures market disagree, I need to pay attention to the market that trades for longer, carries more leverage and often reacts first. The futures picture was constructive before the cash chart caught up, and the rebound was a useful reminder not to become too attached to one chart. I have not placed the new trades discussed here. They are ideas for review, and I still need to check liquidity, pricing and risk before deciding whether any of them belong in my own account. The broader picture has improved, but it is not completely clean. The S&P has recovered an important moving average while still sitting below another, so I would describe the setup
# When the Charts Disagree The gap between the cash market and index futures is keeping me patient. I can see reasons for caution in the equity charts and signs of resilience in futures at the same time. I’m treating the ideas below as candidates for review; they do not represent orders or fills in my account. My main takeaway is to resist forcing a mixed market into one clean story. Weak support and deteriorating momentum deserve attention, but I also need to ask where that weakness is showing up. If futures are holding levels that cash equities have lost, I want to understand that difference before deciding that a breakdown is inevitable. Equally, a stronger futures chart does not erase the damage elsewhere. Interest rates remain part of that picture. I’m watching how pressure spreads th
Hedging the Event, Not Predicting It The market is heading into the Fed decision with enough warning signs to make me cautious, but not enough confirmation to justify an outright bearish call. My plan is therefore simple: reduce the cost of being wrong rather than pretend I know what the announcement will bring. The trade I am considering is a small October put debit spread on SPY. This is a planned hedge, not an order or a completed fill. There are several reasons for the caution. The broad market has slipped below an important moving average, technology has produced consecutive weak closes and semiconductors continue to test the same support area. Repeated tests can weaken a level even when price has not broken down decisively. At the same time, the long end of the bond market remains
# Patience Into the Fed, With One Selective Setup The market is giving me two messages at once. The equal-weight index has lost its 50-day moving average and the broader trend has weakened, while the Nasdaq and semiconductors are sitting near levels where a bounce could develop. With the Fed decision so close, I do not need to force those mixed signals into a confident market call. My main takeaway is to stay selective. The only fresh setup I am considering is an October call debit spread in ARKG. This is a trade plan, not an order or a fill. What interests me is the quality of the decision point. ARKG has pulled back toward an area that previously acted as resistance, met its 34-day moving average and produced a bullish reversal. The proposed spread keeps the risk defined, places the upsi
# A Week of Exits, and the Order I Had to Fix Almost every decision I made this week was a close, not an open. That is not how I pictured the week going, but it turned out to be the more useful half of the job to practise. Nothing below is an order I have placed tonight. Where I say I am planning something, it is still a plan. The one I keep thinking about is Barrick. I have held those calls since early September and the trade has simply not gone anywhere. Five sessions, no move worth waiting for. The chart has not broken — nothing has gone obviously wrong — and that is exactly what makes the exit hard. A time stop asks you to admit that an idea which has not failed has also not worked, and that capital sitting still is capital doing nothing. I am planning to cut it in tonight's session. T
# Bad News, Awkward Timing My main takeaway from Thursday's close is that a convincing bearish story can still be an awkward trade. Rising bond yields and the jump in oil make the backdrop uncomfortable, but that does not tell me how much of the pressure equities have already absorbed. These are my plans and observations for review, not orders or confirmed fills. The distinction matters heading into the inflation release. An upside surprise could add to the pressure. A less worrying result could bring buyers back, especially with the broad market sitting near support. I want to watch the reaction in both bonds and equities before deciding that the next move is obvious. A possible bounce is not a confirmed reversal, and a support line is not a promise that buyers will defend it. That le
# The Index Is Not the Whole Market My main takeaway from the latest session is that the headline index is not telling the whole story. The S&P's decline looked relatively contained, but the weakness beneath it was much broader. I want to pay attention to that gap before looking for another reason to buy a dip. For the next session, these are review priorities and possible actions, not orders I have placed or trades I have completed. I am watching the equal-weight S&P alongside the large-cap index. When the average stock is struggling more than the headline suggests, I cannot assume that a few resilient heavyweights mean the wider market is healthy. The loss of the equal-weight index's intermediate trend support, together with weakness in smaller companies, makes me more selective
Tuesday's close reminded me that an index can look relatively composed while the stocks underneath it are having a much harder time. I am paying more attention to how widely a rally is supported, rather than letting a few strong semiconductor names define my view of the whole market. These are the decisions I am weighing for the next session, not a record of completed trades. The equal-weight S&P moving below its fifty-day average is a warning I do not want to dismiss. One weak close is not enough to declare that the broader uptrend is over. But it does change the burden of proof. I want to see support hold and participation improve before becoming more comfortable adding bullish exposure. A bounce led by only a narrow group would leave that concern unresolved. My first decision is abo
The market still deserves a constructive stance, but constructive does not mean patient with everything. Tonight's review came down to two decisions: let a winner go while it is still a winner, and treat a new idea as a candidate rather than an order. ## The planned close: BMY The BMY bull call spread has done its job. The squeeze fired, the move came, and now the follow-through is fading. I would rather protect the gain than sit through another warning bar hoping for one more leg. There is no exit price yet and no order working; this is an exit to assess in the session, not a completed sale. The lesson I keep relearning: the reason to stay in a trade is not the same as the hope of squeezing every last dollar out of it. ## The new candidate: Embraer The setup is a bullish call on Embraer e
The market moved back into a risk-on posture as rate expectations softened. Large technology, software and financials led the advance, while the S&P moved back to within striking distance of its high. I am participating, but I am not treating that as permission to chase everything. The calendar still matters. The second half of September has often been less forgiving, so I prefer setups close to clear support that should begin working within a few sessions. Three charts stand out to me for the next session: - Barrick Gold is pulling into a cluster of technical support after a strong trend. The structure gives me a defined area where the bullish thesis should either work or fail. - Charles Schwab is holding near its highs with support beneath it and improving momentum. I like the cleane